Sunday, October 10, 2010

Breakfast Highlight: Challah Coconut French Toast!

In the words of Rachel Ray... "YUMmmm-O!"

I cannot think of a better way to start off the Lord's day than with a deeeelicious breakfast! As a child, I remember my Mama always cooking "special" breakfasts for the family during the weekends. I say "special" since we always had oatmeal with our Milo chocolate drink and Tang orange juice from Mondays to Fridays, but when the weekend came, boy was I excited! For the most part, we'd have some kind of breakfast meat (sweet ham or traditional Filipino breakfast meats like longanisa and tocino) with either traditional Filipino bread, Pan de Sal, or breakfast rice, sinangag, and sunny-side-up eggs. I will never forget those days...they are so precious to me.

I've decided that I'd very much like to do that for my family. With that said, I made some french toast with eggs and ham on the side for me and my hubby! Enjoy!

Challah Coconut French Toast 



His-n-Hers French Toast breakfasts! :-D

**Can use bread of your choice. Challah is a traditional Jewish bread and can be found at your local Publix (if you're a Floridian) or Jewish bakery.


Makes up to 4 pieces of French toast

Ingredients:
Challah bread, 4 slices
1-2 tsp butter
1 egg
1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
sweetened coconut flakes
powdered sugar and cinnamon (optional)

Directions:
In a bowl or tupperware, add egg, milk, vanilla and salt. Beat mixture. Heat pan on medium heat and add butter. Dip bread on both sides. When pan is ready, lay one side of bread to fry, and on the top, sprinkle some coconut flakes (you can put as much as you want!). After about 2 minutes, flip the bread over. Another 2 minutes, your toast is done! :-D

On the plate, sprinkle some powdered  sugar and cinnamon on the toasts (optional).

You can include any other side items you'd like. This morning, we had some eggs and honey ham. Our tummies were certainly happy!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment