Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dinner Highlight: Chives and Tofu

Say whaaat?? Tofu??

YUP!!

For those who do not know, tofu is one of the healthier substitutes for protein in one's daily diet. Chives are usually used as garnish for entrees, but I believe this particular kind I bought at the oriental market can be served as a dish on its own. It takes some getting used to, but my husband and I think this dish is delicious!

I learned this side dish from a lady I grew up with who's very dear to me. She invented this dish, and needless to say, it is now one of my favorites!

The ingredients can be found, for the most part, at your local oriental or filipino market. I got them at the Oriental Market on OBT near the Florida Mall. Hope y'all enjoy this dish as much as we have!

Chives and Tofu



Ingredients:
15 oz. package firm tofu
 about 1 lb. chives
1/4 to 1/2 cup oyster sauce
half of a beef bouillon
olive oil 

Directions:
1. Drain tofu from its liquid and cut into about 1x1 inch cubes.
2. Rinse chives and cut about 2-3 inches off from the end (not the end where there is a sprout); these ends are quite tough. Then, cut remaining chives in half or in thirds, depending on length.
3. Add olive oil to large pan. Add tofu and cook for about 5-8 minutes (careful not to burn them or break them apart!). Add beef bouillon.
4. Add chives. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring to get tofu on top. Add oyster sauce. Stir until all ingredients are mixed well. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until chives are very soft and tender.

I served it with white rice and baked garlic-herbed chicken.  Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment