Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dinner Highlight: Adobo (Filipino Stew)

Yay to Filipino food! :-D

Ever since I got married, I had wanted to make sure I also cooked Filipino food for my husband. I'm so thankful that my husband is not a picky eater... ;-)

Adobo is a well-known dish in the Philippines, and is one of those that is made almost every month in a typical Filipino household. It is very simple to make, and it is extremely delicious and flavorful. Many Filipinos have their own versions, but I found this recipe in a slow-cooker cookbook, however I also made some revisions of my own. No worries, it tasted authentic and wonderful. It is best served with warm white rice with the sauce poured all over the rice. Mm-mmm, good!!

Adobo


Ingredients:
6-8 chicken thighs without skin
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 - 3/4 cup soy sauce (I recommend the brand, Datu Puti - can be found in your local Filipino/oriental store)
1/2 - 3/4 cup white vinegar (also Datu Puti brand)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 Tbsp peppercorns
2 small bay leaves
3 small yellow onions, halved then thinly sliced
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded


Directions:
Mix together oil, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a bowl. In a medium or large stockpot, arrange chicken at the bottom. Pour the liquid mixture all over the chicken. Sprinkle the crushed garlic, peppercorn and shredded cheese all over the chicken. Add bay leaves then the onions on top. Leave chicken to marinade in the pot for about 1 hour.
Heat the stockpot (with the lid on top) on high until the adobo starts to boil. Let it boil for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and let the adobo simmer for at least 2-3 hours. The chicken will be falling-off-the-bone tender....yumm-oh! Serve with steaming hot white rice. Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment