Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dinner Highlight: Bangus (Filipino Milkfish)

Chances are, if you've stayed at a filipino's house long enough, you probably saw them eating fish...a whole fish, that is. ;-D



This is the first time I made this fish for my husband and he really enjoyed it...he ate a whole one all on his own! :-D It is called "bangus" in Tagalog, but in English it is milksfish. I bought it in the Filipino store near the Florida Mall in Orlando, and the one I got comes as a 4-pack in the freezer section, pre-marinated and ready to cook. As you can see on the picture, there is some fat around the middle of the fish, but in my opinion, that's one of the best parts of the fish. You have the option of not eating the skin, and depending on the size of the fish, you can eat most, if not all, of the bones (they're tiny and pliable so they're easy to chew and swallow).  The plastic cover indicates the cooking directions, but I simply broiled the thawed fish on high for about 10-15 minutes, or until the fish is brown. It tastes great with some rice and veggies. If ever you do decide to get some, I hope you'll enjoy it as mush as we did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment